Utah weather is unpredictable, we've had snow in June, crazy rainstorms, crazy snow storms with feet of snow, and dry, warm winters. But I can't really remember having crazy windstorms like the one we had last week. And by crazy I mean CRAZY! Where I live the winds got up to almost 90 miles an hour and in a few cities close by it got up to 102! Thats a category 2 hurricane they said.
It was seriously so crazy and somewhat scary. I woke up to the wind at about 3:00 am and basically didn't sleep the rest of the night. I kept getting up to look out my window to make sure that the huge pine tree in my front yard wasn't going to come crashing onto my house. Luckily it didn't (which I heard a few of my neighbors saying they don't know how it was still standing) because all the neighbors around me, they all lost their huge pine trees and I mean huge!
My sisters came over and hung out all day and night. They didn't have power and their houses were freezing. So we just chilled in my house all day. Had hot chocolate, watched the crazy wind blowing things down left and right and the kids had a blast playing all day together.
My parents and my sister Sammy and her little girl Violet(her hubby had just left to start his job Colorado, she left the next week) came to sleep over. We watched a movie and had treats and then at 10:30 when we were all getting ready to go to bed, my parents power came back on. So they left. Just in time too because that night all my kids came down with the stomach flu, yuck! I watched my old/ugly/wood fence sway all day. We lost this section piece by piece and the rest of it luckily was still standing, but is pretty much hanging by a thread now. Another wind storm and goodbye old fence. Maybe this summer we'll all go in on a new fence together.
But as much as I hate that ugly fence, its winter and we can't go out and get a new one right now. so luckily most of it at least is still up and we can fix this piece. Lets just hope until then no one comes in our backyard, its right on the street.
My neighbors big pine tree fell over right onto the other neighbors garage and if you look closely you can see his truck right there behind the tree. yes, behind, luckily he pulled it back as far as he did or his truck would've been crushed!
This is my tree. I am sooo sad! I LOVE this tree. It is beautiful in the spring, its a blossoming cherry I think, and it just makes our front yard look so nice and now its gone! We'll just have to get a new one now.
Here's another angle of the tree in front of my house. Do you see that huge pine tree to the left of it? Ya, thats the one I watched all day move back and forth hoping it wouldn't fall on my roof. And We're so blessed it didn't! And luckily my sisters cars in the driveway were ok and not damaged.
A cute little old lady across the street lost her huge pine tree. It is huge! Luckily the way it feel it didn't cause any damage to houses.
And here's our neighbor across the street, this tree was crazy big too.
see what I mean by how lucky we were that ours was still standing?
This is too funny though, the tree's stump stood back up after they chopped the rest of it down. Trents dad showed up the next day with his big trailer and helped chopped down our tree. We still have a huge stump in our front yard, not sure how to get it out or what to do with it, but it can wait till spring I guess.
Oh did I tell you it was freezing? Yay! Freezing! We are just lucky it wasn't snowing or had snow at the time because it gave people time to clean up. We really were blessed through out the whole ordeal. We lost part of our fence and had the rest of it damaged, but it was old, lost a tree, some shingles and had a big mess to clean up but there were so many people who had tons of damage to their homes and lost power for days. It just made a grateful that usually Utah weather isn't that bad, I can't imagine living in a city where you have hurricanes and tornadoes all the time.
1 comment:
that was crazy! Seriously i'm glad i was there to be with you guys all day! and extra glad we didn't get sick. ha ha. but so sad they were all sick, thats the worst! Thanks for letting us hang out, hopefully you'll get a new fence out of this?! I am laughing so hard at the title of the post. lol so funny, cause i know the song!
Post a Comment