Sunday, November 9, 2008

The View of Dad and Husband

Hey, this is Trent. This is my first post ever. April does such an outstanding job that I think its better that she posts. However, at this time I wanted to express a few of my perspectives on the events of the past couple weeks so they can also be recorded here for remembrance.

I often find it interesting how some memories can become so fuzzy with time while others seem to be eternally vivid. As I expressed at the graveside, there are some moments etched into my memory, and which have and likely will continue to impact me in ways difficult to explain.

One is the feeling of gratitude for how much love and care I felt were given by the nurses and other staff at Mckay Dee Hospital. I was there watching and waiting and my gratitude grew more full throughout the week. Sometimes in the moment I had great optimism and faith, then after the fact I realized how dangerous the situation truly was. As I ponder this my gratitude swells. Through this rollercoaster of hope and fear, it was trust in the Lord that helped us through.

On the night of Sunday, Oct. 26th we had been there while they monitored April and Harrison. Sometime after 10:00 p.m. April asked me to help her up to go to the bathroom and she began to bleed heavily. I called the nurses in right away. They came in and I don't remember exactly what they said, but they called in the whole team. What I do remember clearly is her passing out, me grabbing under her arms and lifting her with the nurses over to the bed while they worked to revive her. I stood to the side of her bed next to her head and pleaded with our Heavenly Father to bring her back. Time stood still as she came to and opened her eyes. She was so confused for a few seconds as she started to put the pieces together in her mind. She started to cry and ask if she lost the baby. She just looked at me and kept asking while I assured her that things are under control and the baby was ok. I will never forget the undescribable range of emotions of those few minutes.

When we were faced with the possibility of choosing who should live, this was possibly the most heart wrenching time of all. To believe its possible for the baby to make it a couple more weeks and hope that this is the case, but at the same time to have a mother and wife be severely at risk and seeing the situation worsen, is not something I would want for anyone. During this period April and I had some time alone. I sat by her bedside and we talked and cried together.

When Harrison was born it was just April and I in the room with a nurse or two. From that point on, although there was sadness, the rest of the night there was such a feeling of peace. It was a time where the veil between heaven and earth seemed to grow thin. We were at our most humble and prayerful. We were able to hold him and see his beautiful face, be in awe at the perfectness of his little hands and feet, and spend a brief period with him as a family.

The next night I decided to go home to take a shower and sleep since I hadn't slept much in 4 days. I got home around 11:30 p.m. and found myself sitting on the bed in our quiet home retracing the events of the last few days and letting it all sink in. I pulled out my notepad where I write lyrics from time to time and jotted down my thoughts. It all just came to me and I was done in about 20 minutes. I'll end my post with the words I wrote:

Although I greive,
and wipe the tears with my sleeve,
you've changed our lives forever,
in just a few short weeks.

My son the one,
that I didn't get to know,
yet I feel so much love,
between us flow.

We caught a glimpse,
of a spirit so strong,
as you fought and triumphed,
for so very long.

Now I have the feeling,
that we knew you before,
and when the time comes,
we'll see you once more.

So this life will be,
but a brief delay,
while we gain the assurance,
to reunite some day.

Even though I may greive,
and wipe the tears with my sleeve,
you've changed our lives forever,
and brought our family closer together.

We love you, Dad

23 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, if anyone wants to cry just read this post. April and Trent, you are such great parents and I know you will see your little one again. That is what is so wonderful about eternal families. Keep hangning in there. We love you!

Stephanie said...

tears falling....

thanks for sharing your view Trent. Your poem is beautiful.

We love you!

Becky said...

That was so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Sammy said...

Trent, I love that song/poem. it really is amazing, definitely put music to it someday. you are so talented. Hope you are feeling ok and everything is going well. We love you all

Amy said...

That's a beautiful post. I can't imagine how scary and sorrowful the whole experience was, but it is amazing that you felt so much peace. Your poem is so sweet.

Amy said...

Ya know through all that has happened I was just so thankful April had you. You are so strong and so spiritual and that is what a wife needs at moments like this. I haven't been good about asking you how you were through all of this! I hope you are doing okay and I love you so much! I am glad you shared your thoughts with everyone!

Brooke said...

that was so touching! we love you guys!

anne said...

Trent - YOU are so amazing - such a tender and loving husband and father indeed. you both deserve that eternal blessing of a perfect son - our prayers are still with you - and I know that the power of the Holy Ghost will comfort and bless you to understand this more to help you thru the hardest times. We love you all - - - -

Laura said...

Trent you are one talented guy and a wonderful father and husband! We are glad to know you all!

Michelle said...

That was so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

Michelle said...

That was really sweet Trent! You really have a gift with words. Matt and I hope and pray that your family is doing well. We love ya!

Charlotte Varble said...

That was so touching! We are all lucky to have such a great example in our family. Thank you for your advice and friendship. (remember when mom would say we would one day be friends and I didn't believe her :) well I'm glad she was right) Love ya bro!!!

Darwin, Jen, Jensyn, Hurley, Violet, and Daphne said...

You are so talented. Your song is beautiful. I think it is so important that you wrote down your feelings. Too often Dads are over-looked and not on purpose. We love your family so much. We hope that your hearts continue to heal.

wallis said...

Wow! You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
-Erin --not Aaron--that's hilarious;)!

Amy said...

Apes-yes! you can share Boen with me. After all he needs someone to spoil him with hugs and kisses! I told Huddy that he is his little brother too! He was asking questions and so I told him that Bingham was going to share his little brother with him!

SM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christa said...

That is so special and sweet. You guys are amazing.

As a side note, can you believe that about our brothers and the bball team!! I think I'm more upset than Ben is!

Scott & Lindsay said...

april! as you've probably noticed, i'm not really great at keeping up on my blog or checking others so i had no idea that all of this had happened. i just wanted to say how deeply sorry i was to hear about your sweet baby boy. i've been reading your blog now for the last 30 mins and am so touched by your strength and perspective. it sounds like you have an amazing husband and i have no doubt your family support has been amazing as well. thanks for checking up on me from time to time. again, i'm so sorry for your loss. keep posting and letting us know how you are all doing. muah!!

lindsay

Anonymous said...

I'm not the best is moments like this because I am so terrible at saying how I really feel about things. However, this was so emotional for me. You are such an amazing family, and have been in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

We need your help
Last night, at 9:58 pm Benjamin Wayne Hamer, my nephew was born. Seven pounds, one ounce and twenty and a half inches long. He is third child of my sister Angela and her husband Cody.
This morning, during some routine tests, the staff at McKay Dee Hospital discovered a heart murmer. Although murmers are fairly common in newborns they did some further research and what they discovered is a disaster. Within an hour Ben had been life flighted to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City.
Although all of the problems little Ben has have not yet been identified, at this point they are already certain there are blocked arteries, a hole in his heart and an underlying heart disease.
It is certain that Ben will have at LEAST one heart surgery but it is likely that there will be more to come.
My family has spent the day at the hospital. My heart broke as I saw little Ben lying on an exam table having hours worth of EKGs, ultrasounds and many many other tests. He is an angel baby and he took it all like a champ. I didn't hear him cry even once although he is surely scared after all he has been through in his first 24 hours on earth.
Cody and Angela are going to be living at the hospital for the next couple of weeks to months, at least.
I am planning on setting up a fund raiser in order to help cover copays, food, gas, as well as the loss of money as Cody takes time off work.
ANYTHING that ANYONE can do or think of will be GREATLY appreciated.
We are also organizing a group fast for anyone who is willing.
Thank you so much for your time,
Please keep the Hamer family in your prayers

Anonymous said...

We need your help
Last night, at 9:58 pm Benjamin Wayne Hamer, my nephew was born. Seven pounds, one ounce and twenty and a half inches long. He is third child of my sister Angela and her husband Cody.
This morning, during some routine tests, the staff at McKay Dee Hospital discovered a heart murmer. Although murmers are fairly common in newborns they did some further research and what they discovered is a disaster. Within an hour Ben had been life flighted to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City.
Although all of the problems little Ben has have not yet been identified, at this point they are already certain there are blocked arteries, a hole in his heart and an underlying heart disease.
It is certain that Ben will have at LEAST one heart surgery but it is likely that there will be more to come.
My family has spent the day at the hospital. My heart broke as I saw little Ben lying on an exam table having hours worth of EKGs, ultrasounds and many many other tests. He is an angel baby and he took it all like a champ. I didn't hear him cry even once although he is surely scared after all he has been through in his first 24 hours on earth.
Cody and Angela are going to be living at the hospital for the next couple of weeks to months, at least.
I am planning on setting up a fund raiser in order to help cover copays, food, gas, as well as the loss of money as Cody takes time off work.
ANYTHING that ANYONE can do or think of will be GREATLY appreciated.
We are also organizing a group fast for anyone who is willing.
Thank you so much for your time,
Please keep the Hamer family in your prayers

Dave and Shelly said...

Trent and April, we just heard the news about Harrison, and we wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you and praying for your comfort and peace in such a trying time. Your strength and faith is a blessing to us all. Love, Dave and Shelly McKenzie

Mande Browning said...

Dear Trent,

It's been over 10 years since we last saw each other, but I'm going to take a leap of faith and hope that you remember me. It's Mand'e Opheikens, from high school? Anyways, I had to leave a comment. You and your beautiful family are in my thoughts during what must be a very difficult time. The lyrics that you wrote have touched my heart in ways that I didn't know were possible and for that I am in debted beyond measure. Take care. You're in my thoughts.

Mand'e